Friday, January 31, 2014

Korea didn't happen...but China did!

Well, it's been a while since I posted that I was moving to South Korea. The day that I drove to Los Angeles to pick up my passport with my Korean work VISA was the day that North Korea threatened nuclear war with South Korea and the United States. So, I decided not to go.

I was supposed to start work April, 2013 in Paju, South Korea, which is the border town with the crossing to the Kaesong Industrial Region. The Kaesong Industrial Park is where North and South Koreans work together, but in April 2013 it was shut down, and didn't reopen until August 2013. Not knowing what North Korea might do, and being so close to the border, made me a bit worried about my safety. I am a big, white, American woman and would stand out like a sore thumb! If the North invaded, there would be no missing me in the crowd.

North Korea ended up just being full of hot air. I was sad that I didn't go, but I was able to spend an extended period of time with my family, which was nice. However, I was unemployed and wanting to do something EXCITING, so I started looking for work/an adventure overseas.

I ended up accepting a job offer with Forsun International Education. I was sent to work in Lishui, Zhejiang, China at Lishui Foreign Languages Experimental School. It is a boarding school and I teach English to Primary Grade 1 and Grade 2 students that are six to ten years old. So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment