Thursday, February 6, 2014

Adventures in grocery shopping!

Grocery shopping, we all do it. Well, there are those who can afford to hire someone to do it for them and those who just eat out all the time. I grocery shop, usually once a week, to buy food and other necessary (and not so necessary) items. I went just last night, to buy food, so I could cook something for dinner.

Grocery shopping here in China is the same as it is in the States; go to the grocery store, get a cart/basket, choose items and put in basket, pay cashier, carry bags of groceries home. I go to Walmart, yes, we have those here, and RT-Mart (Da Runfa, 大润发) usually. I do go to smaller shops sometimes, but I like the convenience of everything in one store, the one-stop shopping method.




Here is where the adventure comes in...

I am a foreigner, a Laowai 老外. I am like the animal in the zoo that everyone needs to look at, and is amazed by, because I am so different. As I shop and put things in my cart people watch me. Several times I have had people grab onto the side of my cart and survey what is in it! They will look at what's in my cart, then look at me... my cart... me... my cart... and this goes on for a few minutes. Once, an elderly man picked up the cheese that was in my basket so he could see it better! It's strange being analyzed like a specimen in a jar!

The contents of my grocery cart last night.


There are many name brands I am familiar with, for example, Hunts, Lay's, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Coffee Mate, Folgers, etc., etc. There are many National, Local, and International brands here in China that I have never seen before. Kewpie is a brand that I have started using because they have salad dressing, mayonnaise, jam / jelly, and pasta sauce. Then there are the food items that I am not familiar with or used to seeing in a grocery store. For instance, LIVE frogs, snails of various types, turtles, and eels! I am used to my meat being pre-packaged and not looking at me as I choose it! I completely understand why someone would be a vegetarian or vegan; having those creatures stare at me, while I'm potentially going to make dinner out of them, makes me feel sad and guilty. Just so you know, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, never have been and never will be, so please don't try to convert me... I'll just continue to live in denial and buy my meat packaged. Thanks!

Ribbit!

Yikes!

You know the fish is fresh!

It takes me a long time to grocery shop, I don't understand Chinese characters so I have to closely survey packaging to figure out what it is, and how to use and prepare it. If packaging is in English, it's usually covered up with a sticker translating everything to Chinese. Once I was looking closely at a bag of oatmeal, I wanted instant, and I hear, "Hi! Can I help you?" It was a really nice high school girl asking me if she could help me, in perfect English. Her mom was so proud of her! She was standing there beaming about the fact that here daughter has a good future in International relations!

The store was quite empty last night, which was nice for a change, since everyone is on holiday for Spring Festival / Chinese New Year. I was able to go right up to the cashier and check out. As I walk up and start putting things on the conveyor belt, the cashier looks at me and starts saying something, rather loudly, to her coworkers. She was just so excited that this was the second time she was the one to check me out, she had to let everyone know! She told me last time, and this time again, that she had never seen the items I had chosen... really!?! Milk, bread, pork, Chinese greens, cabbage, corn, Coke, yogurt; just to name a few of the items I had. Last time I did have mayonnaise, jam, pasta sauce, pasta, and salad dressing; I do think these are more unusual items here in China.

Wine & Spirits

The bakery

The deli

Here are more pictures from my grocery shopping last night at RT-Mart. I like shopping there because they have a great selection of so many things.

A really nice produce section.

More expensive, cleaned & packaged items.

The meat department.

Yes, those are intestines!

Chicken feet in the deli department.

Yummy noodles!

Steamed buns & sticky rice.

Handy "to-go" meals, bread with meat inside.
The ones in the middle with egg on top are really good!

Crepe type things in the deli department. I bought one of those slices!

Sweeter choices in the deli department.

The bakery department.

Three of those chocolate donuts went into my cart!

Big, round sponge cake things.

Pastry chefs doing their thing!

Milk, flavored milk, fermented milk, and yogurt.

Single serving flavored milk drinks.

No refrigeration necessary milk.

Ham, sausages, lunch meat, and BBQ pork.

Milk Tea, the one in red I'm addicted to!

Eggs, there are many different types!

I must pay attention when I'm making my selection or I might get
something I didn't bargain for!

Wow, so many different kinds of eggs...

The shopping mall where RT-Mart is, isn't finished being built yet.
According to this sign, in September of this year, many more shops and restaurants will open up.
I'm excited about Starbucks, and Pizza Hut!

5 comments:

  1. Incredible!! This is fancier than any Walmart I have ever seen. The selection seems first class. You should invite some locals from your town to an American dinner. Great pics...food looks tasty.keep the stories coming...I laugh out loud to each of your postings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos are of RT-Mart, I tried to get some inside Walmart but they have workers standing at the end of every row watching what I do and trying to sell me things! Stores don't like people taking pictures inside them. I was able to take pictures in RT-Mart, even though they have a sign that says not to do it, because it was a holiday and there weren't many people there to catch me doing it.

      

RT-Mart has a larger selection of produce and frozen goods, and I like their bread better. But, Walmart has BUTTER and IMPORTED CHEESE!! Yay! And, I was able to get a coffee pot and a toaster oven from Walmart, the two most necessary appliances in life!

      Delete
  2. How many white foreigners are there?? What is in the eggs? I am afraid about what chemicals they use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told there are around six foreigners, out of the 2.5 million people, here in Lishui. I'm not sure how many are white, besides me. There is a black lady from Cuba that I work with, and a guy from Columbia (via Texas) that I have done some work with, but other than them, I haven't seen anyone else yet.

      Delete
    2. I have no idea what's in the eggs, and I'm not going to taste them to find out! Haha! I need to have one of my coworkers enlighten me on the mysteries of the many eggs of China.

      As far as chemicals are concerned, I think I should be more worried about toxins and other things in the food. So many things never entered my mind as I was preparing to move here. Check out this link on food scandals here in China: China's Food Scandals. It's no wonder I feel as though I have lost some weight, with all the fake food I'm probably eating!

      Delete